Thursday, May 29, 2008

Reflecting on "The Conversation Game"

Since it is the end of the year, I will not at this point be able to use "The Conversation Game" in the way I would like to. It appears to be very useful in helping students generate ideas, and showing them that ideas for art can come from all of life. Ideally, we would play this game at least four times throughout the semester, and students would also use their sketchbook and journal entries to build up a collection of ideas from which they can draw (no pun intended).

My seventh graders played the game this morning. They enjoyed it very much, and I wasn't surprised. Of course, I don't know of many middle school students that wouldn't enjoy a game centered on talking with other students. Instead of verbally sharing the questions with each other at the end, they wrote them on the board. Here are some of the questions they wrote:

"If you could change your name, what would it be?"
"Where is your favorite campsite?"
"What is your favorite sport, and why?"
"What are you going to do over the summer?"
"If you could live in any time period, what would it be?"

Although I had an overall positive response from my students, and they came up with creative questions and answers which could easily contribute toward artistic inspiration in the future, I am not sure how well this works as a game. Our game this morning ended in a tie, since no two groups came up with the same question. At this point, I would like to try to add an element to this game.

No comments: