Friday, April 25, 2008

Letter to An Artist

Yesterday, each of my students picked an art print from our classroom print collection and wrote a letter to the artist of the painting reproduced.

Here are a few of their letters:


Dear Johannes Vermeer,

I love your painting! The colors brown and red sit very well together. Is that supposed to be you painting in the picture?

I think the way you put such a detailed picture in the background is an awesome idea! Was this back when Spain still hadn’t found America? I think that your painting of another painting was a brilliant idea!

Sincerely,

Jasmine


Dear Mr. Hopper,

I love your work (November, Washington Square). It is a very realistic looking picture. I like how it shows real American life at that time.

This picture is of a city so you should do one of the country out west. I also like how the sky is painted with the blue in the middle. I think you are great at painting cities.

Sincerely,

Carrie




Dear Mr. Monet,

Why did you choose all those bluish colors? Were you sad about someone dying at sea? I like the colors you chose for this particular painting.

Were you angry when you painted this? All of your strokes look like they were done in anger, or in a rush. Get back to me on that, okay?

Sincerely,

Rachel

No comments: